Interesting Facts

  • Swaziland is completely landlocked with only South Africa and Mozambique at its borders.
  • Swaziland is one of the smallest countries in Africa.
  • King Maswati III is an absolute monarch with supreme executive, legislative, and judicial powers. The country does however elect Members of Parliament to advise the King.
  • The unit of currency is the Lilangeni (plural: Emalangeni) and it is pegged to the South African Rand. The South African Rand is a legal tender in Swaziland.

Key Market Alerts

  • The cost of living in Mbabane is very low in comparison to other places in the world.
  • Only 30 % of the land in Swaziland is title deed land, with the remaining 70 % being national land which is owned by the King in trust for the people of Swaziland.

An Overview of Swaziland

The capital of Swaziland is Mbabane. The population of Mbabane is about 60 000, and the population of Swaziland is about 1.29 million. Swaziland’s economic growth remains one of the lowest in sub-Saharan Africa. The Swazi economy is very closely linked to the economy of South Africa, its main trade partner for imports and exports.

The private sector is underdeveloped with low levels of foreign direct investment. Many small business enterprises rely on government contracts. The soft-drink concentrate, textile, and cane sugar industries are the leading export earners and the largest private-sector manufacturers.

Living in Mbabane

The main roads in Swaziland are tarred, and other major roads are well-maintained gravel roads, but a four wheel drive vehicle is recommended. Swaziland is ideal for outdoor activities as there are mountain ranges, valleys, rivers and other natural wonders. Swaziland has a handful of modern malls as well as traditional handicrafts, arts and crafts with many of its products now found in trendy ethnic boutiques around world.

Housing in Mbabane

Residential areas radiate outward from the Central Business District in Mbabane. There are some upmarket housing estates such as Nkoyeni golf estate, about 45km from Mbabane. The rentals are low offering good value for money compared to South Africa and other African locations. Swaziland's relaxed lifestyle and slower pace contribute to the country's appeal.

Schooling in Mbabane

There are private schools in Swaziland favoured by. Other expatriates prefer to send children to private boarding schools across the border in South Africa.

Designed & Developed by Agent Orange Design