Things to Do in South Africa’s Major Cities This Festive Season
Here are some suggestions from Intouch Relocations to keep you and your family busy over the holidays:
- The Lipizzaner Christmas Performances taking place until 23 December 2016 in Kyalami. The magnificent white stallions dance to a mix of classical music and Christmas carols. Santa will make an appearance and the children will be involved in the performance. Shows are at 10:30am, 3pm and 7pm on selected days. Tickets are R160. For more information, visit: http://www.lipizzaners.co.za/events.html and for ticket sales, visit: www.computicket.co.za
- Magical Moonlight Christmas Market at the Bryanston Organic Market on Tuesday evening, the 20th December 2016 from 5pm until 9pm. The market will be lit up with sparkling lights and trimmings, offering an array of uniquely hand-crafted gifts and Christmas decorations.
- Sandton City’s Festive Line-up for The Kids will keep the kids entertained, while you sneak in some Christmas shopping. Dora & Friends, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Paw Patrol will be performing live. Other activities include two giant Lego areas, face painting and the Toy Kingdom train, as well as the opportunity to get a photo with Santa on his sleigh.
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is an acclaimed theatre performance that the whole family will enjoy. On at Montecasino until the 29th January. Tickets are R100 – 1350 and available at www.computicket.co.za
- Fantasy of Light is a wonderland of festive light installations including this year's The Secret Castle which is a heart stopping Pantomime show written and directed by Lizz Meiring. Starts at 8pm and tickets are R80 – R120. From www.computicket.co.za
- New Year’s Eve Concert at Kirstenbosch. Performances by Johnny Clegg and Slow Jack beneath the starry night skies on scenic open lawns of Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. Bring along blankets, picnic baskets and bubbly, and usher in 2017 in laidback style. All ages welcome. Tickets are R375 per person from www.webtickets.co.za
- Kirstenbosch Carols by Candlelight takes place in the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens between the 15th and 18th of December. Children of all ages are welcome. Ticket prices range from R25p/p to R85p/p for children, while adults pay between R100p/p and R110p/p depending on the night selected. For more information, contact the Kirstenbosch Rotary Club on +27 (0) 83 270 9286 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ceres Steam Train is an old world experience on board an authentic vintage steam train to Ceres. The trip starts and ends outside Royal Cape Yacht Club, Dock Road, Cape Town on second and fourth Saturday of every month at 7.30am to 6.30pm (26 Nov, 10, 17 & 31 Dec, 7, 14 & 28 Jan, 11 & 25 Feb). Cost: Adults R400 each way, u12 R250 each way, kids under 2 Free. Lunch at Ceres Golf Estate at an additional cost of R150. For more information, visit: www.ceresrail.co.za
- Christmas Twilight Market at Blaauklippen. Take a summer’s evening stroll through the Blaauwklippen marketplace filled with goodies, Christmas gifts and pop-up wine sales on Blaauwklippen products. Expect a wide range of delectable cuisine as well as crazy cocktails, with the usual array of Christmas cakes, mince pies, pancakes, ice-cream, arts, crafts and antiques. There is entertainment every evening by a wide range of talented musicians and Carols by Candlelight for visitors to join in while supporting some local charities through donations of the candle sales. Ample activities for kids and maybe even be a visit from Santa. Taking place from the 16th to the 20th December from 4pm to 10pm at Blaauwklippen Wine Estate, Strand Rd, R44 Stellenbosch. Entrance is free. For more information, visit: www.blaauwklippen.com
- Cinderella. This pantomime performance of the classic tale, with a modern twist, is on at the Baxter Theatre, Main Rd, Rondebosch, Cape Town, until the 24th December. Tickets are R75 and available at: www.computicket.co.za
- KZN Christmas Market Festival takes place from the 15th to the 19th of December from 9am to 8pm at City Hill Church, Hillcrest. Hand crafted gifts, entertainment, food, kids’ activities. For more information, visit www.kzncmf.co.za
- Dolphins by Starlight at uShaka Marine World. See the dolphins perform to Christmas carols. visit www.ushakamarineworld.co.za. Tickets will become available through Computicket.
- Carols by Candlelight at Kenneth Stainbank Nature Reserve (Coedmore Castle) Sunday the 18th December at 4pm. Bring a picnic or meat to braai (barbeque) – fires will be provided, and marshmallows for the bonfire. Bring blankets and chairs. Entrance is R25 for adults and R5 for children.
- Umgeni Steam Railway. Take the kids for a steam train ride from Kloof to Inchanga with Santa on Saturday 17th at 8:30am. Adults R220, kids R150 (return) for more visit umgenisteamrailway.com